What is a Database Diagram Support in SQL SERVER
SQL Server management studio(Any versions) allows you to create Database Diagrams to use graphically and show the complete structure of the database. Additionally, you can create and modify tables, columns, relationships, Indexes and constraints there.
Error: Database diagram support objects cannot be installed.
If you have ever tried to create a database diagram in order to view the structure of the database you might have come across the following error
Database diagram support objects cannot be installed because this database does not have a valid owner. To continue, first use the Files page of the Database Properties dialog box or the ALTER AUTHORIZATION statement to set the database owner to a valid login, then add the database diagram support objects.
If Yes! You do not need to be the worry. You can solve this error by following some easy steps
- Right click on Database from Object Explorer
- Select Properties
- Select Files from Select a page menu. Listed on left side
- For the Owner, click on button appeared as (…). It will open the “Select Database Owner” window.
- Click on Browse button. It will open “Browse for Object” window
- Check SA and Click on OK button.
- Again Click on OK button for rest windows.
Please have a look at below pic to view all above-listed steps.
You can also use a simple SQL query to resolve the issue if you don’t want to go through design mode.
ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::Your_Database_Name TO [sa];
Once you are done with any of the above ways. you are now able to use Database Diagram features. As you can see in the below image. Click on Yes button to create a database diagram.